VOX is the Successor to StageSource A11Y
StageSource Guide to Alt Text + 3 Web Accessibility Tools:
This guide is a brief introduction to how to utilize alternative text online, in emails, and in social media, to ensure that your media is accessible for visually impaired users.
NEA: The NEA has several useful documents on their website. One of them is their Design for Accessibility: A Cultural Administrator’s Handbook
MCC: The Massachusetts Cultural Council has a comprehensive guide to available Arts Access Services, Definitions and Resources Mass Cultural Council Access Check List
- ASL Interpreted Shows: Standard Practices Guide: This guide was created by Boston University’s Disability Services and BU’s School of Theatre in collaboration with Commonwealth Shakespeare Company, the Huntington Theatre Company, and VSA Massachusetts.
- Rate Sheet for Interpreters in MA from the Mass Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- ASL Performing Arts Community FaceBook Group
- ASL Class Suggestions
Open Captioning Resources/Information:
- Access Tech Affordable and nimble Captioning for live theater
- C2Net Live Captioning On site Live Captioning with expert operator provided
- WGBH Access Services
- WGBH Captioning FAQ
- Youtube/Google Captioning: This is helpful information for captioning your online videos and other content.
- 3 Play Media Online captioning services
Audio Description Resources/Information:
- Upcoming Audio Described performances in Massachusetts
- Reid My Mind Radio Blog A blog & podcast from a Black man adjusting to being blind, featuring interviews & stories examining social implications of disability and life and Blind Centered AD
- WGBH Audio Description Services
- American Council for the Blind Audio Description Project- A comprehensive list of all films and broadcast shows which have AD
- Theater with Audio Description FaceBook Group to post upcoming jobs or find upcoming shows in AD.
For More Information
Massachusetts Cultural Council UP Initiative: The MCC’s UP Inclusive Design Initiative seeks to inspire organizations to use design to anticipate and accommodate the full spectrum of human ability. UP is Universal Participation.
VSA MA: Massachusetts organization on arts and disability.
VSA Minnesota: Has practical information for administrators, artists including those with disabilities, and audiences who have questions about creating and/or attending the arts.
Cultural Access New England (CANE): CANE was founded to advance access to cultural facilities in New England for people with disabilities of all types. CANE defines accessibility broadly, to include programmatic, architectural, physical, communication, attitudinal and other forms of access. CANE takes as a basic tenet that increasing accessibility for people with disabilities increases accessibility for everyone.
Theater Community Benevolent Fund – Providing financial relief and assistance to individual theater practitioners in MA with dignity discretion and compassion.